Friday, May 25, 2007

Luther Rice

The SC Baptist Courier has a great article on Luther Rice, the incredible early Baptist who raised funds for missions and worked hard to bind Baptists together in a call to missions. (Pictured: Luther Rice and others at their commissioning to foreign missions.)

I have visted his grave twice in Saluda County, SC. The first time I was scouting the historic Cherokee Path which runs across South Carolina and was an important early road inland. His grave is very close to the Path. The second time, I was leading the Cherokee Prayer Initiative team on its first segment in 1999. At that visit, Linda Fulmer gave me a Yemenite shofar from Israel which I have on my bookcase today. It came from a young man on Samuel's Mountain, a hill just south of Jerusalem where the prophet Samuel is thought to have used for judging and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment