Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Why do you preach so long?

For those of you who wonder
  • why I use notes when I preach,
  • why I mention the word meanings in their original languages,
  • why I take time to set a passage in its context,
  • why I set the scene culturally and historically,
  • why I teach systematically through a book,
  • why I rarely preach topically but rather expositionally from whole passages of Scripture,
  • why I keep overviewing whole Bible books,
  • in short, why I preach longer than fifteen minutes every Sunday (yeah, I know, a whole lot longer!) here's a nice explanation by Danny Akin of Southeastern Seminary that says it for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey. Last night at our weekly "Back to the Bible" overview of the Bible class we did Revelation. You started that Genesis through Ruth two and a half years ago and the plane just landed! Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's AWESOME! Doesn't it feel good to finish well? I'm so glad you all have completed the Bible series, and I look forward to the day we co-write that book.
    Gene

    ReplyDelete