Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Laurens County rare book


Last night I was on books.google.com looking for Bible Commentaries and South Carolina histories to add to my online library when I ran across a little known book by John Leland, principal of the Laurensville Female Academy in Laurens, SC.

Entitled A Voice from South Carolina, it tells the shocking story of what happened in Laurens County, SC, during Reconstruction, and it is some of the most fascinating and little known history of the area.

I referenced this little book in my college honors paper. It is a witty, insightful, clearly-written, humorous, and sometimes disgusting look at the personal vendettas that fueled Reconstruction politics in South Carolina.

If you have an interest in upstate South Carolina, let me recommend you read it online or better, download it.

No comments:

Post a Comment