Friday, October 29, 2010

Ada Winn

My Cherokee prayer warrior friend, the Beloved Woman, Ada Winn, went into the presence of the Lord tonight (10/28/2010) about 8:50pm. We became friends when she came from Oklahoma to be part of the Cherokee Prayer Initiative in 1999-2000. She was a great, gentle spirit. 

She taught me how to listen. When I talked with her, she would not respond at all until you were finished. Then there was a long pause. Then she would speak. It was the Cherokee way. The First Nations people actually listen to you when you speak instead of thinking of what they want to say while they wait for you to finish. The Lord promoted Ada after the Cherokee Prayer Initiative and gave her many prayer roles and used her as one of the "old mothers in Israel." Here is a link to a chapter in a book which Ada coauthored with Mark Rodgers on the life of Nancy Ward.

Below are some pictures of that dear old lady of the Cherokees. 


Ada and I at the 2005 Irish-Cherokee Cultural Exchange, Cherokee, NC


Ada Winn (center) with Fern Noble and Jim Barefoot sitting on Cowee Mound on the Little Tennessee River, NC, as we pray 'in council.' Oct. 1999
Ada Winn and Kevin LaPlante at the site of Kulsetsiyi (Sugar Town) at the confluence of Little Tennessee and Cullasaja Rivers, October 1999

Ada Winn, Wardell Jones, and Edd Stovall joking on the hike up to the pass at Clingman's Dome, NC/TN. May 2000.
Ada praying with Roberta Pfanstiel at Hanging Maw's Town, TN. May 2000
Edd, Ada, and Wardell on Clingman's Dome, TN/NC. May 2000
Ada Winn and Fern Noble praying while Christy Lynn Poe records at Chota (underwater), chief town of the Overhills Cherokee, TN. May 2000
Ada Winn, Beloved Woman, leading a difficult prayer council time at Tellico Blockhouse, TN. May 2000.
Ada about to lead a joyful time of prophetic prayer in TN. May 2000.
Ada, our Beloved Woman, an official title in Cherokee government, leads prayer at the grave of Ada's relative and the last official Beloved Woman of the Cherokee people, Nancy Ward, in TN. May 2000. Christy Lynn Poe records the prayer.
Ada prays with a Scot-Irish woman from Northern Ireland, Chrissie Henshaw, at Long Island of the Holston at Kingsport, TN. May 2000. Christy Lynn Poe records.
Ada wraps up in the cold wind as we prepare to pray at Wayah Bald near Franklin, NC, as Henry Redding looks on. October 1999.
Ada and I repent at massacre site at Nundeyeli (Nantahala Outdoor), NC, Oct 1999.


I repent on behalf of me and my people before the Lord for the massacre at Nundeyeli in 1776 as Ada Winn, representing the Cherokee people hears the confession and repentance. Oct 1999.
Ada forgives on behalf of her and her people for the massacre of Nundeyeli Town (Nantahala, NC) by SC forces in 1776. Oct 1999
Kevin presents Ada with flowers at Kulsetsiyi (Sugar Town) near Franklin, NC. Oct 1999
Ada Winn's Obituary
Services for Ada Winn will be Tuesday, November 2, 2010, in the Chapel of The Gardens here at Rice Funeral Service. Burial will be at Little Rock Cemetery in Locust Grove. Visitation will be on Sunday, October 31, 2010 from 12 to 6 with family here from 4 to 6.

    Ada Nancy Winn was born September 15th, 1938, in Tahlequah to Jim and Lucille (Hummingbird) Ketcher.  She received her early education in her birth community before attending Bacone College where she earned an associates degree in nursing and then continued at the University of Tulsa, earning her bachelors degree qualifying her for a career in nursing with W.W. Hastings Indian Hospital in Tahlequah.  In addition to her nursing degree, Ada was an ordained minister through Morning Star Evangelistic Center where she also traveled and ministered with their Two Rivers Native American Training Center.   Functioning as an ordained minister Ada performed her first wedding ceremony when she officiated at the marriage of her youngest son, Theron and his wife, Billie.
    Her ministry work took her all over the United States as well as internationally to Cuba and Israel.  Recognized as a prayer warrior she traveled to reservations to share the word of God and headed the Native American Circle of Prayer.  She took the opportunity to walk the Trail of Tears, honoring the hardships faced by her ancestors. 
    Ada had a more light-hearted side as well; she loved good jokes and told them with relish.  Leisure activities included playing softball, bowling and shopping.  A dedicated mother and grandmother, she could frequently be found in the role of supporting fan for her grand and great grandchildren’s events.
    Beloved mother, grandmother, community leader and dear friend, Ada is survived by her children, Terry Winn of Claremore, Sheri Winn of Chelsea and Theron Winn and wife, Billie, of Tulsa; grandchildren, Joseph Winn of Tahelquah, Dana Teehee and husband, Joseph, and Kayla Chupco and husband, Travis, all of Sapulpa; great grandchildren Kaniyah Tiger, Kamille Chupco and Joseph “L.J.” Teehee, Jr. who will arrive in January, 2011; eight siblings; and a host of nieces and nephews.  She was preceded in death by her parents, two brothers and her neice Ahnee.




STATEMENT IN HONOR AND MEMORY OF OUR SISTER, ADA WINN, FROM THE CHEROKEE PRAYER INITIATIVE TEAM OF 1999-2000. 
To be read at her funeral
by Gene Brooks on behalf of all four CPI teams
Ada Winn served an incredible service to our nation and the Cherokee Nation through her ministry with the Cherokee Prayer Initiative in 1999-2000. It only took a few hours of prayer with Ada to realize what a special gift she was to the Body of Christ and what an incredible intercessor she was. The teams on each of the four segments of the Cherokee Prayer Initiative fell in love with our Beloved Woman, Ada Winn. 

We found that she was a descendant of the last Beloved Woman of the old unified Cherokee Nation, Nancy Ward, and therefore was a relative of Attakullakulla and Dragging Canoe, three of the most legendary of Cherokee leaders. When we finished the first segment of praying in the Cherokee Lower Towns in South Carolina, Ada realized an “increased awareness of the responsibility I have as an Intercessor for the nations.” She said that, “I must be on the wall watching continuously so Satan does not get through any crack.  [I] must speak prophetically and remind our Father of His promises, ‘That all of Oklahoma and the Carolinas will be saved.’"

Ada’s team members grew great respect for Ada Winn and came to her for advice and counsel, so much that we declared her our Beloved Woman, and she was appointed the team leader to mediate and handle any interpersonal issues that may arise on the team. At the end of our prayer segment in Western North Carolina in October of 1999, Ada reflected on her time of intercession personally by saying the following: “[I] have become more sensitive to the Lord's voice and know that He is holding me accountable for a higher level of intercession for both the Cherokees and all peoples of the land.  [I am] learn[ing]  how to accept honor and being waited on.” That great servant of our Lord, Ada Winn, was developing the gracious humility of being served just as Peter learned to let his Lord wash his feet.

At the end of the segment in East Tennessee’s Overhill Towns, Ada wrote that she was “learning to do spiritual warfare by honor,” and she was learning that “this can be implemented in our intercessory group as well as our church body.” The great respect that she had garnered among our prayer team elicited great honor for Ada. She wrote, “The honor bestowed upon me–I accept for the Cherokee Nation as a gift from God.” And she held precious the friendships she had developed on the CPI team. She wrote, “The continual growth, learning and building of relationships with others are gifts I will treasure.”

The final segment of the Cherokee Prayer Initiative in the Chickamauga Towns around metro-Chattanooga deeply affected Ada. She said, “The continuous warfare by tears and honor will forever remain in my heart and remind me of this awesome team (family) the Lord has given me. The seeds sown by this team honors God and the Cherokee Nation. I will be able to use this experience in my healing ministry.  I am ready to take up my scepter for the next assignment.” 

Indeed, Ada has now taken up a new scepter of authority in the heavenly realm, a reward for her intercessory work for her people and the nations, and if we know Ada Winn at all, we are all sure that with joy she laid that scepter immediately at the feet of her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

  1. How the memories flood back over me like an incoming tide--as the pictures speak honor to our dear Miss Ada. This morning I am counting my blessings for these journeys that we all walked together.Now she looks on from the other side & I can hear her laughter as she takes joy in being in her new home & dancing on streets of gold. Thank you Gene this is a wonderful tribute & it allows us to join in also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene,
    Thank you so much for the call about Dear Ms. Ada, a true "Beloved Woman". I had not talked to her in sometime as she had moved etc. I've stayed in touch more with Jim Barefoot and spoken with Fern Noble at times over the past years. The times I have talked with Ada since CPI she was always positive, optomistic and full of mercy and grace; even on the phone or in my thoughts I could always see her smiling. Her reflection revealed her vision of the Lord's soon coming; its like she could see and knew that Jesus would come and take her away with him and nothing else really mattered or could bring her down. That's how I see her! I too learned about listening from Ada and my other Indian friends; I speak the statements you made about listening often myself. CPI was one of the most important milestones in my life and I continue to walk out my calling as "A Friend to Indian People".
    Blessings,
    Kevin LaPlante
    "Listens to the Birds"

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful for all the Ada Winn taught me about prayer and intercession. I have had contact with almost all the old Cherokee Prayer Initiative team members from ten years ago. What do you think about a reunion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. Ada was my aunt. I was unaware of how beloved my aunt was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gene for keeping us posted on Miss Ada...her impact in the Kingdom will be missed, but will be carried on by many others that she placed a deposit in...a reunion would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont know how I found my way here but I am so grateful & honored that I did. Ada & I were cousins, our mothers were sisters. I am so sorry to say I never got to meet this Ada. I am so proud & happy to know what a wonderful relationship she had with God....

    ReplyDelete