Thursday, November 11, 2010

Johnny Hunt on the brevity of life

"Life slips through our fingers. If you're gonna do something for the Kingdom, hey, I'm just serious, if you're going to do something for the Kingdom, hey, you better do it now. People often ask, why are you so urgent? There ought to be an urgency. There oughta be a fervency. You gotta do it now!

"Some say, 'Oh, I'm gonna go kick back and get to know them.'  No! No! No! It isn't your job to kick back and get to know them. It's your job to kick back and let them get to know Him! And lead them to embrace the nations for the glory of God.

You're supposed to be living your life to the glory of God, not to the dictate of some carnal layperson!

"The brevity of life. I've been pretty radical through the years. Been doing what I do for thirty-five years, saved out of a pool room. Still remember what it was like to be there. Never forgot what it was like to be lost. Never got over getting saved. 

"And I just made my mind up a long time ago, I'm not gonna be ugly; I need to be Spirit-filled, but I refuse to let anybody tie my hands. I'm gonna answer before a holy God one day as to whether I lived my life for the glory of God, and if a church will not tolerate the proclamation of God's Word, put me out on the street! I'll make a living doing something else, but I'm going to preach the Gospel, and I'm going to make a difference.

"You've got to do it now! Life is short. It's fleeting.

"When I was a child, I laughed and wept. Time crept.
When I was a youth, I dreamed and talked. Time walked.
When I became a full grown man, time ran.
When older still I grew, time flew.
Soon I shall find it passing on. Time gone.


"So if you're going to do it, you've got to do it now, because it's gonna be gone."

Dr. Johnny Hunt, November 9, 2010, at the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina
Entire sermon on mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment