Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Breastplate of Saint Patrick

(Lorica Sancti Patritii)

I bind unto myself today
The strong name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three‑in‑One, and One‑in‑Three.

I bind this day to me forever,
by power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
His baptism in the River Jordan;
His death on the Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of the Cherubim;
The sweet "Well Done" in judgment hour:
The service of the Seraphim;
Confessor's faith, Apostles' word;
The Patriarchs' prayers, the Prophets' scrolls;
All good deeds done unto the Lord.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven;
The glorious suns' life‑giving ray;
The whiteness of the moon at even;
The flashing of the lightning free;
The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks;
The stable earth; the deep salt sea
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead;
His eye to watch, His might to stay;
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach;
His hand to guide, His shield to ward;
The Word of God to give me speech;
His heavenly host to be my guard;
Against the demon snares of sin;
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within;
The hostile men that mar my course;
Few or many, far or nigh;
In every place and in all hours;
Against their fierce hostility.

I bind to me these holy powers
Against all Satan's spells and wiles;
Against false words of heresy;
Against the knowledge that defiles;
Against the heart's idolatry;
Against the wizard's evil craft;
Against the death‑wound and the burning;
The choking wave and poisoned shaft;
Protect me, Christ, till thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me;
Christ behind me, Christ before me;
Christ beside me, Christ to win me;
Christ to comfort and restore me;
Christ beneath me, Christ above me;
Christ in Quiet, Christ in danger;
Christ in hearts of all that love me;
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same,
The Three‑in‑One, and One‑in‑Three;
Of whom all nature hath creation;
Eternal Father, Word, and Spirit.

Praise to the Lord of my salvation.
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment