Friday, April 05, 2013

Second Half Prayer

Those of us who have reached mid-life or beyond may ask ourselves, “How did it take me so long in life to get this smart? Now I'm too old to do anything about it!"

But the reality is that the second half of our lives could and should be the most fruitful. By this time we have just begun to have enough understanding, humility, and Godly wisdom to be useful in the Kingdom, or at least it should be that way!


Senior adults have much to contribute in wisdom and strength, and their great spiritual resources are often unemployed or underemployed.

In Psalm 92, we find a way to pray for the senior season in life.



Psalm 92:1-3 – Thank you for putting a song of praise in my heart and mouth today. Let me thank you for your faithfulness at all times. Let my words be gracious and a pleasant melody without a sour note of complaint or murmuring. Let the music of my heart be in tune with Your great heart and vision for my life.


Psalm 92:4-5 – Give me joy in all You have done in my life and are doing for me. Let me shout for joy at the works of Your hands. Help me understand that Your ways are not my ways, and assure me that Your plans are best.


Psalm 92:6-9 – Protect me from sin and darkness. Go before me and slay the giants of doubt and those things that would rise up to defeat what You have for me to be and do. When the enemy comes at me one way, let them scatter seven ways before Your hands.


Psalm 62:10-15 – Give me strength, refreshments, grace, encouragement, and confidence in You, O Lord. Anoint me with fresh oil from the Holy Spirit. Let me be as a fresh and flourishing palm tree: long living, useful in many ways, strong in storms, most fruitful in old age. Let me grow strong like a cedar: majestic, evergreen, durable, and fragrant. Let my latter days be richer in trust, love, contentment, and fruitfulness than my former days. Let my life be a testimony that I dwell in the courts of Your Presence. You are upright and faithful to all Your promises and perfect in all Your ways. Continue to bless me in Your tender care. Amen.


Adapted from Sylvia Gunter, Prayer Essentials II, 197

1 comment: